Just this morning, I was working with a client who had some errors pop up in their SharePoint farm. I looked at the Windows Event log and didn’t find a whole lot of helpful info. So, I moved on to the ULS logs, to my dismay, they were almost all 0 KB with a couple of files that were 2 KB or 3 KB.
I opened up the files that appeared to have some text in them and found the following entry:
08/20/2009 10:38:58.08 wsstracing.exe (0x07A0) 0x07CC ULS Logging Unified Logging Service uls1 Monitorable Tracing Service lost trace events. Current value 5.
Naturally I went to Google with my error as I had never seen this before and found this blog post: http://weblogs.asp.net/jimjackson/archive/2008/05/13/sharepoint-logs-tacing-service-lost-trace-events.aspx by Jim Jackson. I restarted the Windows SharePoint Services Tracing service just as he suggested and bingo! My ULS logs started recording events again. Thanks Jim!